Monday, March 08, 2010

CHAMPION OF PUTRAJAYA

It is safe for me to say that I am a champion of Putrajaya 2010. Alhamdulillah... and nice 500 bucks.

I was seeded as the top seeding in this match despite the defending champion Hairulov did participate in this very same tournament.

Frankly speaking, my preparation was specifically to anticipate (predict) Hairulov's possible openings (the London, Barry attack, King Indian Fianchettoe) and defences systems Scandinavian Qd6, Slav central variation. That were all that I had managed to read. However, preparing against Hairulov alone who had experiences a vast repertoire of opening systems and defence systems is not easy, and I did not able to prepare all of them. Therefore, the risk management approach is used here.

However, seeing Hairulov unexpectedly lost to the Hariz Syami in the crucial 5 rounds, made my preparation remain unused. On the othe hand, facing Hariz who was also with 5 points in the penultimate final round means that I had no choice but to win the game. Actually, the arbiter had printed out the standings which shows that, I would win the tournament (even if I draw) by the tie break, but it would not be a true champion to share the same point and yet wins more money (it is quite unfair somehow).

I was fortunate to have the white pieces. Therefore, without ample time to worry, I just pushed my e-pawn two steps and it was the beginning of the final victory!

[Event "Putrajaya Komuniti - 20 minutes tournament"]
[Date "2010.03.07"]
[Round "6"]
[White "Rizal A Kamal"]
[Black "Hariz Syami"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B09 Pirc Austrian attack"]

1. e4 d6 2. d4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. f4 Nf6 5. Nf3 c6 6. Bd3 O-O 7. O-O Nbd7 8. e5! After this, white has the space advantage 8...dxe5 9. fxe5 Nd5 10. Nxd5 cxd5 11. c3 e6 12. Be3 Nb6 13. b3
Simply stopping any possible counterplay

13...Bd7 14. Qd2 Re8 15.
Bh6 Bh8 16. Ng5 Re7 17. Qf4 Be8 keeping on pressuring

18. Qh4
Suddenly the attack shifted towards the h-pawn and black is helpless

18...Qc7 19. Rac1 (D) Nd7
The tempting sacrifice Bf8 is now can be answered by Nxf8 guarding the h7

20. Nxh7!
The sacrifice and the beginning of the end

20...Nxe5 21. Nf6+!
Bxf6 22. Qxf6 Nf3+ 23. Rxf3 1-0


(c) Copyright to Rizal Ahmad Kamal 2010

No comments: